Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Stash + Thoughts

I promised myself at least a sewing project completed every 2 weeks, and now I was late on my "submission". All thanks to those flu bugs and dizzy spells Im having. Its a sicky 2 weeks period for me.

Nevertheless, I started my life as a working-adult-trying-her-very-best-to-climb-up-the-career-ladder-and-hope-to-own-a-nice-and-nifty-accounting-firm-in-the-future. Im giving all my very best at this job, and 3 weeks down, Im sure that I have learnt and will be able to learn things and knowledge that I will need at least 2-3 years at other companies.

Yes, local companies might not offer big bucks, delicious staff benefits and that compromised promotions. But then, squeeze in a single MNC, can you be guaranteed all those knowledge and experience that you needed for the future? Those "seniors" in MNC firms will be too busy to coach, and one will be forever stuck at a single job roles. For me now, Im able to learn everything require for this field, from corporate secretarial, accounting to tax services.

I look further, I choose this path, and nope, I never regret working for a local company.
I feel happy, my colleagues taught me well and patiently. I hav met worse co-workers who are too reluctant to teach and guide.

My workplace is in Chinatown, and well-known to local seamtresses, it's the only place in Singapore with shops selling wholesale fabrics.

2 times of shopping and I have scavaged these:

From plain cottons of blacks, reds, navy blue to creams, and the classic plaids and my favourite stripes.
Yet these are not all, my next in list will be more plain cottons and ginghams with pop colors.

The problem with sourcing for fabrics in Singapore, is that we are a very small country and thus the market for fabrics is way too limited. In fact alot of shops have closed down over the years. Another factor to contribute to is the rising cost of cotton, thanks to the poor harvest in China in recent years. Im already thinking of crossing over the link bridge to Malaysia to source in a bigger market.

I have a thought for sewing a series of "matches" (items that are easy to match against) and "clothes for work". Maybe, I will sew a handful of these items and have them up for sale.

On a side note, I was invited by Cozycot to participate in a Blogger's Event on Spa Buffet.
Spa Buffet? Exactly spa buffet, unlimited spa treats.
Even though I have no digging idea why I was invited as Im not a well-known blogger locally and my genre of blog was, well, rare in fact.
Anyways, will dress myself up and go for spa happily~!

P.s. Hope to get my next dress done asap for the event :)

No comments:

Post a Comment